We all deal with grease, grass stains, dirt, tomato and more on our clothes; especially with children in households, playing outdoor sports or even being an avid gardener. There are so many commercial products on the market for stain removal, though most typical store bought removers contain an extraordinary number of hazardous chemicals which can be harmful to you and your family. Since I try to make my household as toxin-free as possible, I make sure the clothes that touch are bodies are washed using natural products. It is just another way to lessen our exposure to unwanted and unnecessary chemicals.
Cheers to Good Health!
Here are some of the toxic ingredients found in most stain removers:
- Sodium hypochlorite: Commonly known as bleach or chlorine, this one is a respiratory irritant, a neurotoxin, and can cause liver damage.
- Benzene, toluene, xylene: These are neurotoxins and can damage the central nervous system.
- Methylene chloride: This chemical acts as a carcinogen, neurotoxin, and reproductive toxin, and can cause liver and brain damage, irregular heartbeat, and irritation of the skin and eyes.
- Monoethanolamine: Found in laundry pre-soaks, this one can cause liver, kidney, reproductive, and central nervous system damage.
- Parabens: Found in a wide range of cleaning products, these act as hormone disrupters.
So what should try for your laundry stains instead? I firmly believe all natural is the best way to go. In my home, I make a diluted solution using my Thieves Household Cleaner from Young Living. This is fast, simple, cost-effective and super easy to have on hand.
What is Thieves Household Cleaner? It’s an all-natural cleaner concentrate from Young Living. It’s used in a diluted form with water to clean and sanitize. Thieves Household Cleaner contains a blend of clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary essential oils, the Thieves cleaner features all-natural plant based ingredients without any harmful chemicals.
This DIY Natural Stain Remover can remove your tough grease, grass and blood stains. It works on fresh stains as well as old ones. I generally recommend treating a stain as soon as possible for the best possible outcome.
DIY NATURAL STAIN REMOVER
2 1/2 cups distilled or filtered water
1/4 cup Thieves Household Cleaner from Young Living
1 glass spray bottle (recommend 24 ounce size)
Simply mix the two ingredients and gently shake bottle. Apply generous amount to any stain and rub together. It’s always good to test your fabric first. After applying remover, wash as recommended.
Let me know how effective this DIY solution is for your family. Please comment below!